On Sunday, February 14th, (Valentine’s Day), 2016….I preached a sermon focused on the proper advice and Biblical worldview that we should be providing as the Christian Church.
You can listen to that sermon by visiting the following link,
(* I had an issue with the original saved file from when I preached, however I re-preached the sermon to an audience of myself and the Lord. Prayerfully, if you listen, you will be blessed whether you heard the sermon I preached on Sunday, or this “re-do”)
The crux of my message was that all to often the ‘advice’ we are receiving is based upon ‘life experience’ and personal opinion’ rather than being contextually Biblical. I love the concept that we are all so uniquely different and our relationship contexts so varied and diverse that we should not seek out “cherry picked” wisdom – whether from Scripture or another source. Instead, we should understand our foundation – a Biblical worldview- and allow our foundation to inform our view of “life together” in every context.
To sum it up, I urged us that we should see Christian Fellowship, Christian Mission, and Agape Love in our relationship contexts- in this case, be that singleness, dating, courtship, marriage, or widowed. Listen to the sermon to enjoy the details.
All of that said, I wanted to provide resources for those of you who may be willing to “put in the work: to see God glorified in your specific context. My best advice is to tell you to revieve these resources with discernment. Utilize a healthy Biblical perspective and ‘walk worthy’ of 1 Thessalonians 5:21.
- First thing, if your dating or married, it cannot hurt to get a check-up, right? At this following link for a mere $35, you can receive a rather in-depth “check up” on your relationship.
SYMBIS(Save Your Marriage Before It Starts) has a 25% off deal if you do the survery before 2/28 and use the following code – FDCDC4F. Follow this link, http://www.symbisassessment.com/
- Doing some reading on ‘Dating’ and ‘Marriage’ is always a good thing. After all, when is doing some reading ever a bad idea? Here are some resources I have gone through which have helped what I understand to be a healthy view of these relational contexts:
- What He Must Be….. If He Wants To Marry My Daughter by Voddie Baucham Jr.
- History of Dating by Mark Driscoll (visit the following link, http://markdriscoll.org/a-history-of-dating/)
- For Men Only by Shaunti & Jeff Feldhahn
- For Women Only by Shaunti & Jeff Feldhahn
- I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris
- Say Hello to Courtship by Joshua Harris
- Unprotected Texts: The Bible on Sex & Marriage by Jennifer Wright Knust
- Created To Be His Help-meet by Debi Pearl
- Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
- The Science of a Woman: The Art of Manhood by Eric T. Smith
- The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy and Kathy Keller
3.) Some websites that are full of resources I would recommend are:
4.) And finally, I want to share some upcoming conference events.
On Long Island, Faith on Fire Ministries will be simulcasting the ‘XO Marriage Conference’ this coming Saturday, February 20th. The event is $26.50 per couple, $16.50 per person, and will be from 10AM – 3:30PM. Visit the following link for more information, http://xo2016.faithonfireny.com/
Trinity Grace Church is offering a ‘Marriage Prep’ conference this coming weekend – February 19th-20th, 2016. You can visit the following link for more information, http://trinitygracechurch.com/marriageprep/
Joshua Harris’ ‘Mingling of Souls’ event is also happening this coming weekend. While I can imagine many are not going to travel to the conference, you can cuddle up with your wife/husband and watch the conference at home for $20. Visit the following link for more information, http://www.minglingofsouls.com/marriage-conference/
Also, in months to come, at the Blue Point Bible Church we will be hosting a video series called Sacred Marriage. We will be exploring the possibility of God’s design of marriage to be aimed more at making us holy, rather than happy. Learn more by visiting the following link, https://vimeo.com/ondemand/sacredmarriage
I know, I know….I have offered a lot in this blog. Considering that we are living in the day and age when the following statements are the leading statements regarding healthy marriages, I don’t believe we can have too many resources, or make use of them enough.
“How are we preparing people for the redemptive relationship of marriage that is intended to reflect God’s relentless love for people?”
“There aren’t enough voices speaking hope into marriages these days. Marriages need God’s breathe of life breathed into them.”
Let us move forward encouraged, admonished, and excited. We will be blessed by the effort that we put into these regards, therefore let us “walk worthy”.
Sincerely in Christ,
Pastor Michael Miano
P.S. -Be on the lookout for another review on dating and marriage I will produce later this week.